Three Steps to Eliminate Redness & Rosacea
Approximately one in 10 people suffer from the daily battle of dealing with rosacea. Having recently overcome an uncomfortable phase of facial flushing, I have felt compelled to put together my protocol to help you to easily and quickly overcome red and inflamed skin.
STEP ONE: Understand the physiology and triggers. Understanding the mechanism behind your facial flushing and common triggers can arm you with the information you need to overcome the frequency of the outbreaks. Rosacea or facial redness is associated with dilation of small blood vessels in the face. When these vessels become inflamed they result in the face appearing red, often with small papules and feeling hot. The cause can be anything from heat, exercise, hot foods, stress, wind or a change in temperature. Light skin, Genes, Helicobacter Pylori and facial blood vessel abnormalities have all been associated with this condition.
Until you have your rosacea/redness under control (using the steps below) I recommend that you try to avoid foods which have been known to cause an increase of blood flow to the face. Foods which do this include:
- The Four "C's" - chocolate, citric acid (tomatoes, citrus), caffeine, chilli (and spicy foods)
- Hot drinks
- Histamine rich foods including yeast, mature cheese, dairy and processed meat
Activities which may trigger your flushing include:
- Hot baths
- Strenuous exercise
- Expose to wind or a change in temperature
- Stress or anger
If you suspect you may have a parasitic infection, thrush or yeast overgrowth you may wish to have this further examined or seek advice on anti-microbial treatment to address this as there is a strong link between gut health and rosacea (Oregano Oil and Berberine are my favourite anti-microbial for this)
STEP TWO: Topical Aid. When it comes to preventing facial redness from occurring you want to choose skincare products which will reduce the redness, combat inflammation, and provide a strong barrier for the skin so it becomes resilient to increased blood flow.
- Switch to a milk-based cleanser. Dermatologists who treat rosacea will agree that it is best to go from a gel-based cleanser to a milk-based cleanser which will prevent further aggravation of redness and irritation. Our No.1 Belle Frais Cleansing Milk is a calming and hydrating cleansing milk which contains calming botanicals such as Coconut Milk and Zizyphus along with Wattleseed which is rich in amino acids to strengthen and repair.
- Calm and Repair. Having a product which immediately calms and soothes the skin is a must when it comes to rosacea. Our & Soothing Nectar Hydrating Gel has an Aloe Vera Gel base which is immediately cooling and calming and also contains botanicals such as Gotu Kola to repair the skin along with Chamomile and Cucumber Extract to calm and reduce inflammation. If your skin is incredibly dry our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil is a potent anti-inflammatory which will also assist in hydrating and nourishing. The Snowflower Seed and Kakadu Plum Seed found in the oil are rich in Vitamin C and E which not only strengthen the skin capillaries to reduce flare-ups, they are also naturally anti-inflammatory so calm the skin and prevent irritation.
- Protect and Nourish. The skin needs a strong barrier to protect it from redness triggering elements such as the weather and environmental pollutants. Our & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair Cream is the one product I would say is a must-have for anyone suffering from red or unhappy skin. It is rich in Vitamin B3 and Vitamin E which are both anti-inflammatory and redness-reducing. Vitamin B3 works specifically by increasing the production of ceramides and fatty acids which are two key components of the outer barrier of the skin.
STEP THREE: Slow Down. It may seem like an obvious one, but addressing your body's stress response is so important in reducing the incidence of flushing. I love using calming oils such as Lavender and Chamomile on my temples or will pop a few drops on a handkerchief and place this under my pillow. Have a think about whether you may be a bit burnt out - do you need some time out, are your adrenals needing some love and nourishment. Botanicals such as Passionflower and Chamomile can calm and soothe both internally and externally. You will find these in our No.3 Sleeping Beauty tea blend. If you feel as though you are constantly on the go and need to just slow the pace down we have a few brilliant tips here: Slow Down & Boost Your Health