Your Step by Step Guide to Healthy Skin
Determining your skin type is the first step to properly caring for your body’s largest organ. You can tell if your face is oily or dry, but “normal” is a bit harder to define.
So let’s break it down: The term is widely used to describe skin that’s well balanced and free of conditions such as acne, rosacea or dermatitis. Basically, it’s the Goldilocks of complexions. And you’ve got it, so congrats.
Just because you have normal skin doesn’t mean you get a free pass when it comes to your regimen. Proper care is essential to maintain good condition. As such it’s important to develop a routine that combines topicals and healthy habits (e.g., eating clean and drinking plenty of H20). Below is your step by step guide to improving your skin topically.Stage 1:
Using our essential core four (cleanser, toner, serum and lotion), plus an eye cream, will ensure your skin stays hydrated, protected and radiant.
- Cleanse: Washing your face removes impurities and keeps pores clear. Formulas that contain sulfates, parabens or synthetic AHAs and BHAs can change the pH of your skin, leaving it prone to sensitivity, UV damage and premature ageing. Our No.1 Belle Frais Cleansing Milk is free of toxins and other nasties. It maintains barrier strength and encourages youthful skin with a combination of nourishing Coconut Oil, moisturising Zizyphus, brightening Fruit Extracts and Salicylic Acid, which purifies without stripping natural oils.
- Balance: Toning is an often forgotten step in daily routines, but it shouldn’t be. Our No.2 Citrus Rhapsody Toner Mist harnesses the powerful astringent properties of May Chang to remove excess oil and refine pores. Coupled with stress-relieving Calendula and Fig, it leaves skin fresh and radiant.
- Plump and protect: Nourishing and protecting your complexion is essential regardless of your skin type. Our No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum contains Hyaluronic Acid, which in conjunction with Beta Glucan helps plump by attracting 1,000 times its weight in water. It’s also supercharged with Botanical Antioxidants that guard against damage. Edelweiss enhances natural DNA protective actions and blocks UV light absorption, while White Tea extract accelerates repair. Kakadu Plum—the world’s highest plant-based source of vitamin C—boosts collagen production and brightens.
- Hydrate: Skipping moisturiser is a major no-no. Our best-selling No.4 Vanilla Silk Lotion is a lightweight blend of Camellia Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Rosella Extract, Black Raspberry and Lemon Aspen that deeply hydrates, moisturises and supports elasticity.
- Firm and defend: Your peepers requires a little extra TLC. Our & Gold Rush Eye Cream is formulated with Gold Leaf, a luxurious ingredient that’s renowned for its ability to brighten, refine fine lines, soothe inflammation and promote collagen production—essential for keeping skin firm and youthful. Passionfruit and Blueberry have an abundance of antioxidants to protect against UV and free radical damage.
The secret to youthful skin for years to come? Speeding up cellular turnover and nourishing your complexion with age-reversing vitamins.
- Encourage cellular renewal: Slowing of the epidermal turnover rate contributes to dullness and loss of fullness. So, it’s critical to kickstart this process in a natural way. Our & Desert Lime Micro-Exfoliant sloughs away dead skin, which increases radiance and softness, and ensures that the active ingredients are penetrating deeply into the skin to work their magic.
- Promote collagen production: Vitamins A, C and E exert powerful protection against oxidative stress. Snowflower Seed Oil, the star of our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil, exhibits 100 times the antioxidant action of Vitamin C, making it wonderful for repair and enhancing collagen production. Jojoba Oil is loaded with omegas and Vitamin A, which are important for cellular regeneration. It also replenishes natural moisture and potentiates the abilities of Vitamin E.
- Nourish and repair: While you snooze, your body goes into repair mode, so an overnight mask is a must. & Sleeping Beauty Purifying Mousse is packed with healing Pink Clay, soothing Aloe Vera, Avocado (5 Alpha Avocuta) and glow-getting Snowflower Seed Oil to nourish, replenish moisture, improve barrier function and boost radiance overnight.
Ingredients to Avoid:
Sadly, in many cases, the products we use to combat our skin concerns can be the very cause of them. These are the topical ingredients ageing complexions should avoid:
- Sodium laureth sulfate: Sodium laureth sulfate (commonly added to face wash to make it foam) is what gives skin that squeaky clean feeling. The problem is that it strips skin of its natural oils and leads to over-drying.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is an active ingredient in cleansers, makeup removing wipes, acne treatments and more. The problem is that it breaks down the skin's natural protective barrier, leading to dryness and irritation.
- Synthetic fragrances: Synthetic fragrances are a major source of irritation for most skin types and are shown to trigger redness and inflammation.
- Preservatives: Preservatives found in most beauty formulas, including parabens, ethylhexanol and even those claiming to be natural, are among the most common irritants. Instead, we use sodium anisate (derived from aniseed) and sodium levulinate (a cellulose starch) to keep our product stable.